Britta is a very loved horse who has touched the hearts of so many, and right now, she needs our community more than ever.
Last night, Britta began showing signs of colic. We stayed up with her throughout the night, doing everything we could to keep her comfortable. After discussing her condition with the veterinary team, I made the difficult decision around 4:00 a.m. to take her to the Oregon State University Veterinary Hospital in Corvallis. We arrived a little after 6:00 a.m., and the team immediately began a full triage.
Right now, the veterinary team is working hard to determine what is causing her colic, how best to treat it, and how to address concerns in her bloodwork. She has also started passing diarrhea, adding another concern as we work to understand what is happening and what she needs.
At this point, Britta may need to stay hospitalized for 3–5 days. We were given an estimated cost range of $3,975 to $5,300, and in order to get her the care she needs at OSU, we had to put down a $4,000 retainer on our medical card.
This is a significant and unexpected expense, and we are reaching out to our amazing community for help. We want to give sweet Britta the very best chance possible to recover and make the best decisions for her care and outcome.
Anything you can contribute, whether large or small, will make a difference. Every dollar helps, and if you aren't able to donate, we ask that you please share Britta's story and help us spread the word.
Please share this with your friends, family, and everyone you know. You never know who might be able to help, and getting Britta's story out to as many people as possible could make a tremendous difference.
Britta is so loved, and we are holding on to hope as we take this one step at a time. We will share updates as we learn more about her condition.
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for your kindness, your support, your prayers, and for helping us fight for our sweet girl.
Let's come together for Britta and give her the best chance possible to come through this.
This morning Dr. Alvey called. Britta was doing well, heart rate staying in the 40s, and stolls were formed, however she was concerned as Britta was not eating her monring hay. She ate all her Alfalfa pellets and was looking for more. She said they were going to monitor her but she needed to start eating her hay in order to home. I could tell she was busy but I heard the conern. As soon as I got off the phone I knew I needed to go see her right away. Maybe she needed to know that her family still is here waiting for her to come home and that we all still love her. I called to tell them I was coming and jumped in the truck. Of course a stop for coffee and off I went. I was worried she was depressed. Dr. Alvey took me to see her and she would not even look over when the door was opened. I said her name a couple of time and she looked at me and realized it was me. She came right over to the door and after a few minutes snuggled and seemed happy to see me. After talking for a few minutes about her, the doctor went and grabbed a differnet hay (I wanted to take some of ours but it would have added an hour to my trip). She took a couple bites and when the doctor went to get more she started knickering. I as SO happy to see her engaged with me and eating hay. She will have another CBC panel and if everything is okay I will be going to get her in the morning. She needs to be home with us, where her family and herd will give her love, snuggles, and her normal hay and grain.
Thank you everyone for your spport and donations! I will not know how much the final bill will be until I pick her up, however it is looking to be around what was originally quoted. Please get the word out to everyone you know to help support our sweet Britta!
Dr. Alvey called and Britta is doing well...Thank goodness! Her cow pies have now started to become formed, she is still on isolation, heart rate is in the 40s which is good, no fever, she's bright and curious. So far her blood work is looking good we're going to be running another set just to make sure we continue In the right direction. It looks like this was an acute colitis attack. We don't know what really caused it or why it became so acute but something upset the GI tract Basically colitis is a "disease of the colon". The fluid sequesters and starts losing fluid through the bowel. As long as we continue looking good as they monitor her she should be able to come home soon. Thank you so much for the outpouring of love and your support! You have all been amazing to help with her cost so we can get her treated and continue the monitoring Dr Alcey is recommending with no hesitation. We Have been able to do all of the care that the doctor is recommending snf str hoping it stays within the anticipaated codtd.
Picture is of the day we met the sweet girl!
First I want to thank everyone who has donated already and encourage others to continue our support for Britta. I am planning to do a write up for how decisions are made to take a horse to OSU, how we do it when we feel there is no other option to save them, and how knowing our community willl help us makes the decision easier when all other avenues have been exhausted.
Next the update from the triage and last night:
During triage an ultrasound was performed to see how things were moving. Good news small intestines were moving. Rectal found no hind area impaction but a vets arm can only reach so far. Bloodwork was pulled (lab onsite thank goodness). There were some too low and odd so now to find out why they were off. Belly tap looked good and lab only found small readings (sorry I was tired and can't remember but no raging infection). Tube down the nose. Britta did not like that at all and vet said it "tickled". My human self said "wow how uncomfortable! You can actually see the tube moving down the throat. Thank goodness no reflux which gives an indication no blockage in that area. I'm blessed they let me be with her everyone step of the exam. I've learned over the years to be helpful not get in the way and support the vets. Some of the pain meds I gave her were still on board, so she was only sedated at this point. Bloodwork showed low biocarb and high protein. A catheter was put in (again Britta was not a fan and since they are a teaching hospital the student is learning to do it and Britta is not easy to stick). After all the thorough tests there was no specific it was this type of diagnosis. They are so thorough, patient, and kind to the horse at OSU.
First phone call: Yay! Dr. Alvey (you might remember she was the vet that saved Faelin's life!) took on Britta's case. She called after she came in for the day and said Britta was having severe diarherra and had to be moved to isolation and they had to start biosecurity measures while test were being run. Of course more cost, but has to be done. We discussed what led up to me taking her in and everything for history I could think of. We also had to the hard discussion of money and where out top end was and where the cost is and at one point we have to have harder discussions if necessary. I told her I was reaching out to all of you. Dr. Alvey also knows we can do care at our barn once Britta is stable and she was so kind to acknowledge our level of care and knowledge for the horses.
Last night's phone call:
Dr. Alvey called and said the diarherra had turned into liquid which is "odd and very concerning" and makes her nervous. They ruled out Potomac and Corona through bloodwork. Still waiting on Salmonela test. They gave her Pepto to see if it would help. She was finally interested in food and since it didn't seem like an impaction they were giving her Alfalfa pellet mash which she was eating. It is a slow introduction of food at this point. They are running more bloodwork this morning to compare to last night and continue to monitor for any change in white blood cell, electrolytes, etc. She said Britta was pleasant and bright. Heart rate 44. Salmonella test will come back in the morning. We discussed again on only testing what is necesary and doing what is necessary as we do not have an unlimited wallet. I'm so glad she knows us so well. She will be calling in the morning with updates and more results after rounds. Otherwise she will only call if this turns the other way and so no call until than is good.